Thursday, April 23, 2009

Helping me overcome social akwardness series: TV

The stand-bys

The Hills

I do not watch The Hills, per se. I'm merely in the room while The Hills is being watched. The Hills is to TV addicts, what Virginia Slims are to smokers: the last acceptable fix.

Having said that, fellas: watch the show. My girlfriend's eyes light up when I know which friend is flirting with the other one's ex. Know why Spencer is an epic d-bag, and that Whitney got her own show called "The City" (because stretching a title to four syllables might alienate their viewership)

And most importantly of all, you have to take on a cynical, non-nonchalant attitude that says to all your friends, "whatever, that show is weak I would never tune in Mondays at 9pm CST on MTV."


House MD

Dr. Gregory House is definitely one of the "smaht kids". It shocked me to find out that actor Hugh Laurie is British. I knew that dry sense of humor couldn't have been solely American. Laurie plays Diagnostician Dr. Gregory House- a limping, socially stunted and thoroughly brilliant physician who constantly berates his subordinates and keeps the awkward sexual tension alive with boss Lisa Edelstein. Mondays at 7pm CST on Fox.


The next potential ER
: Southland

After The OC, Mischa Barton got a DUI and Benjamin McKenzie got his own prime time show on NBC. McKenzie played a rich SoCal kid on The OC and he plays a rich kid turned cop on Southland. Sounds like tv recycling characters ad naseum, but it actually works.

The show feels like Law and Order, but with an edge like The Wire. Even though the FCC will only let you push the envelope so much, the producers of Southland try to create an authentic "cop" feel by keeping colorful language on the show, but beeping it like you would see in Cops. I'm a cop show junkie and I have to tell you, for network TV this is a *beeping* good one.

Southland
airs on NBC, Thursday nights at 9pm.

No comments: